Moving State to State with Pets & Plants

Moving to another state may not seem much different from moving locally, but it can be, especially if you have pets and plants. You need to be aware of state and federal regulations for transporting pets and plants across state lines before making the decision to move them with you.

While you may be willing to take whatever measures are necessary to move with your pets, you could decide that transporting your plants is simply not worth the hassle during this busy time. Chipman’s state to state movers do not transport pets or plants, so you will need to make other travel arrangements if moving them.

Moving Pets across State Lines

Moving can be very stressful for your pets. They don’t understand the way we do; they only know they are leaving their home. Talk to your veterinarian before the move and ask for recommendations on how best to help your pet through this transition. You can discuss it when taking your pet for a visit before the move.

If your pet is more than three months old, it will likely need a current rabies vaccination. Most states require them. A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection is also recommended. In fact, some states such as Washington and Oregon require the certificate of health be issued no more than 30 days before arrival. Each state has its own regulations, so check with the agriculture department for the state you are moving to in advance. You can find import information here. Your veterinarian should be able to provide the necessary information and documentation required. He or she may also be able to recommend a new veterinarian in the area you are moving to.

You will also need to check local pet licensing requirements. The city or county you are moving to may require a license for each pet, and could also limit the number of pets you can own.

Once you arrive in the new home, keep a close eye on your pets. Only let them out on a leash, at least until they become familiar with their new home, and make sure they have identification with a current phone number in case they become lost.

Moving Household Plants across State Lines

Most states regulate the import of plants, including personal household plants, to prevent the spread of disease and pests. Many require transported plants be grown only indoors in sterilized potting soil, which can be purchased at a garden center. That means you probably won’t be able to dig up your plants from your yard and take them to your new home in another state, or even take potted plants kept outdoors in summer.

Some states require a certificate of inspection, and/or prohibit certain plants. For instance, California strongly discourages bringing citrus plants, fruit and nut tress and pine trees, even ones grown indoors, and requires any household plants be declared and easily accessible to border inspectors. Your local agricultural department should be able to provide information on regulations for the state you are moving to. If not, check with that state’s agricultural or natural resources department.

In addition to regulations, you must also consider how your plants will be transported. You don’t want to carry them in the trunk of your car, so unless you are able to safely transport them and can meet the destination state’s regulations, you may want to consider finding a new home for your plants before moving.

As you can see, advanced planning is necessary for moving state to state with pets and plants. If you have additional questions or concerns, talk to the Chipman move coordinator provided with your residential moving service.  He or she will be happy to assist you.

This entry was posted in Moving State to State and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.