When the time comes to expand or move your company, one of your primary focuses should be to keep your best and brightest talent with you. Convincing employees to relocate can be a challenge but if you offer the right assistance and support you can make their decision to go along for the journey a lot easier. Here are some tips we have for relocating your best talent!
What is Employee Relocation?
To get started, let’s define what employee relocation is. This is when a company chooses to move new or existing employees from one location to another. This could be within a state, country, or across seas. It is a way to keep your best employees with you without having to onboard new talent and it keeps you competitive.
How Can I Support My Employee’s During a Relocation
For the most part, it’s recommended that you offer employees a relocation package. If you are removing your employee(s) far from their home, it is best to offer some or all the following, so they are not alone in the decision and moving process.
- Home Finding Assistance: If employees are going to be far removed from their home town, it is best to offer home finding assistance to help them find a new place to live since they will be relocating to an entirely new area.
- Home Sales/Home Buying: Once your employee(s) know their living situation, you can also aid them in the process of selling their old home and purchasing their new one.
- Job Search Help for Spouses: You are not only relocating your employee(s) but their families as well. It is best to offer job searching assistance to spouses that will also have to relocate and school options for children who will be a part of the process.
- Transportation from and to New Location: If your employee(s) will be moving a long distance, why not offer moving and transportation assistance to take some of the pressure off. This may include taking care of moving, packing, and unpacking expenses.
- Temporary Housing: If you have employee(s) that are having trouble with the relocation process, when it comes to finding a place to stay, offering temporary housing is another option to make sure your employee(s) can stay with the company until they find more permanent housing.
Another option that is available to help make this process easier for you, the company, is to outsource your employee relocation efforts. Outsourcing takes the pressure off of the company during the move and offers a streamlined process that is a win-win for both parties. No matter what, your employee will be grateful for the support that you offer them during this process.
Overall, the best thing to do as an employer is to be honest about how you do not want to lose your best talent. Tell your employees about what kind of work they will be doing, their role in the process, what the company’s goals are for the move, and how you plan to help them along the way. By being honest, you set-up a good relationship between you and your employees. And if they say yes to your offer, you know they are the right person for the company!
If you need assistance with relocating your employees, Chipman Relocation & Logistics can help! Get a free quote today for our workplace services and residential relocation services to not only help you relocate your business but to help relocate your best talent along the way!